Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches... If you have several great catchers on your team... which one do you start?"

Dominik85 posted:

Dominik85 posted:

Btw in mlb it is different, teams almost entirely focus on framing and tend to focus much less on blocking and arm than a decade ago.

But you also have to consider that the base level is much higher in mlb. There are simply no catchers with a 70 mph fastball velo (if they pitched) or being super terrible at blocking so a little more or less doesn't matter to the teams in these days. 

Can't always compare different levels and say "sabermetrics says this so we need to play like this in hs ball".

Thanks for the post...I appreciate your perspective here. I sent a "sabery" question out a few month ago (first post!) and got pretty well told that you couldn't/shouldn't evaluate receiving at high school because there were too many variables and/or you could not measure it objectively. Not sure I agree but that was the general consensus.

Your point about the base level skill at higher levels really will give me some things to think about as I watch four games this weekend, subjectively evaluating catchers!