Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches list of potential recruits"

I'll take a stab at answering your question.  But really only you can answer the question "if they end up calling" you.

The short answer:  You want to go where you can play.

Would you be content sitting the bench on YOUR #1 team even if you were not their #1? If yes, remember, you still have to get up at 5:30 am on cold mornings to work out, practice, and then possibly not travel with your team to away games.  Those away game weekends can get lonely if you don't make other friends, which is hard to do when you are with your team almost 24/7. 

I don't think my son knew where he was on the depth chart at any school.  If you aren't a pitcher throwing 88-92 or a top recruit, things sift out quickly.  The top schools nab their #1 and #2 pretty quick.  You can check on perfectgame.org to see players that have already committed, per class, and their positions. Then, you have to see if a school even NEEDS your position the year you graduate, so you have to go look at school rosters, maybe even for several years back.

Once you accept an offer to play, each following year you need to compete for playing time.  If you go in to a school at #3 or #4, there could be new #1s and new #2s coming in each year after you.  It will be hard to move up the ranks, unless you go to one of the colleges that take ALL #1s .  And even on those teams, someone is sitting the bench.

So, you will know a coach is not interested when you don't get an offer.  When you DO get a offer and accept, make it your/ (son's) business to work out, stay healthy, show up at college ready and able, so you/he can be THE #1.

Last edited by keewart