Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches play to win"

Originally Posted by coach2709:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by lionbaseball:
If you lost every game at jv level but developed players would it really matter?

Yes.  Winning and loosing is an attitude/culture.  If you loose to much, you forget how to win. 

No offense guys but the scenario is too loaded of a situation to truly get an answer.  If you're developing players then you are going to win most of your games.  If you're not then you're going to lose most of your games.  Nobody forgets how to win and nobody learns how to lose.  You either learn how to perform and have the mental strength to get it done or you don't.  It cracks me up when I hear coaches say "I have to teach them how to win".  Well how do you do that?  Exactly what drill do you do that teaches winning?  If you can tell me what that drill is that teaches you to win I want to know what it is because our practices will get a lot shorter.  You learn to win by doing things correctly and then you do them correctly more than the other team.

So end of the day a coach is playing to win.  They are teaching the guys the best of their ability on how to do things correctly. Some coaches are better than others at getting this done.  Some coaches have better players to work with than others.  So many things go into winner other than just putting the best 9 on the field.  That aspect really isn't that hard.  Your best 9 players out of 16 (or whatever you carry) is typically very easy.  What's hard is teaching all of them how to do things better than the other guy.  Because if they can do that then they are going to win.

If winning was easy then everyone could do it.

I understand and generally agree.  I just think the winning is a mindset.  You basically said it yourself -- "You either learn how to perform and have the mental strength to get it done or you don't."  It is about confidence.  Constant loosing affects confidence regardless if any "development" is going on.