Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches play to win"

Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by GoHeels:

Who is more likely to have a better, in depth, perspective of the player?  The person who sees them on game day.  OR the people who see them EVERY DAY during Fall Ball, offseason workouts (or not), and everyday during the spring?  ie. 20 hours a week, nine months per year?

Just a thought, next time "politics" is involved.

In my area the HS coaches have very limited contact in the "off season."  So in many cases the "dads" see the kids work all fall/winter with their travel teams.  Most, having seen/coached the kid since he was in diapers have a much more thorough understanding of the kids than a HS coach can. 

I will grant that in most cases it is a bias or misjudge of talent rather than pure politics. 

As with everything, every area and subject matter has its differences, and similarities.

I will say this.  I don't disagree at all that a father has more insight to the type of player his son was when he was 11.  All too common though, is the projection of that former self into the present, and the belief that his now 16 year old son is the same dominant force that he was when he was 11.  When, in fact, he isn't.  The player he was when he was in Coach Pitch is not much of a predictor to the player he will be when is a junior in high school.  Which is to say, that almost all great (and even marginal) 17 year olds on varsity, were amazing in Little League.  But not all Little Leaguers will grow up to be an All-State player in high school.

Quite often, its the HS coaches (and showcase coaches, and college coaches) that see this, not the parent.