Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches play to win"

Sorry, I haven't read every post yet. 

We all know how important winning is. I'm sure everyone, especially coaches, want to win.  However, this importance placed on winning is a problem.  Truth is, and every truly great coach knows this, winning is not the "most" important thing!  In fact, in some cases winning can be the most stupid thing.

Coaches coach, players play, I favor those players that will do whatever it takes to win a game in a class manner. Those that will run through a wall.  However, it would be stupid to tell those players to go run through the wall.  why would someone allow a HS pitcher to throw over 150 pitches?  Or come back two days later to win another game? Might as well have them go run through the wall. The difference is running through the wall won't necessarily win the game, but that stud pitcher will.  Yes, sometimes winning the game becomes just plain stupid. 

I applaud the coach that takes his tired ace out of the game and takes the risk of losing.  That is the coach that knows how to win, in my book.  Those coaches that ride their horse straight to the operating table, might be a winner, but he is very much a loser in my mind.

Because of all this we sometimes end up with the wrong coaches getting all the honors. Then again, many of those with the most honors did things the right way.

Also from a coaches perspective... Making out that first game lineup usually involves a tough decision.  Most of the line up is easy pickings for the coach. The only sure thing is in someones eyes the coach is playing politics, has favorites, or is just not fair.