Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches play to win"

Some HS coaches are simply idiots. There is no getting around it.  Sure they are trying, to the best of their limited abilities to win.  But frankly,  I've seen a number of them who couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag.  it's easy to say from the sidelines, I know. And I'm not prepared to put any numbers on what percentage of coaches might be just plain duds. 

I'd be the first to admit that It's a hard gig. Lots of politics, almost no money,  entitled kids,  parents with blinders on, and in these parts parents who are used to being listened to and even sucked up to by most of the world.

(I'll give you an example of what I mean by parents who are used to be listened to.  I heard from a  group of disgruntled dads at a rival school that they intend to go en masse to the local AD after the season to ensure that this years spanking brand new coach will not be around next year.   They are collectively pissed.  I gather that almost no one supports him.  This group includes, by the way, both dads of bench players and dads of players who fancy themselves college prospects.  Their team won't make it to the sectional playoffs for the first time in 7 or 8 years.  They could even be headed down to the B division of  their league next year, after a very long and successful run in the A Division.  They blame it all on the coach.  Don't know if they are right except that they are in fact far worse than they have historically been under the new guy)

I know  --- who wants to deal with that sort of stuff?  Nobody, of course.  And yes, I know that that makes it harder to find good, competent people. Indeed, a few  isolated  programs in these parts seem like they have a revolving door -- shuttling coaches through at a breakneck pace.  (Those are the exceptions rather than the norm, though).

Like I said some of this falls on the parents, the players, and the AD's.  But some of it falls on the coaches too.  Cause frankly some of them leave a lot to be desired, just qua coach.  Some are baseball idiots, or maybe they know their baseball, but they turn out to be small men with big problems, or maybe they're good guys, but they  just don't have  a clue how to get the best out of the often talented but sometimes, admittedly,  soft and over-entitled young men  one sometimes has to deal with in an area like this.

So I grant up front it's a complicated mess. Wouldn't try to absolve parents, players, administrators of their share of the blame.  But sight should not be lost of the fact that, as in any profession,  some number of HS coaches are just plain duds.  

What do you do when you get one of those?  All you can do, really,  is keep your head down, do your thing, when given a chance, and move on and leave it behind you when summer and fall rolls around.  Fortunately, there are enough avenues outside of HS for honing your baseball skills in this parts, that you're not necessarily hostage to the quality of your HS coach.