Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches Video"

Ok Jr's Dad, here is my $.02. Take it for what it is worth, and please don't be offended.

To me, it looks like he could use a refresher on some catching fundamentals. I understand he isn't a full time catcher. But if he is going to talk future coaches about catching and send video, he should work on the fundamentals. Right now it seems as he is getting by on his athletic ability.

For example, at about 1:50 we see a past ball in the dirt with a runner on third. Not even an attempt to block it. Even though he got the out, I would not include that footage as it was not a "textbook" play. Along the same lines, I would not include any "picking" footage as it is not a fundamental play. His competitors will be blocking those balls. My guess is future coaches will want to see a mastery of the fundamentals.

There are other things I won't go into, but I would get him with a good catching coach. Then after a few weeks of refinement, shoot some video from a few angels. Edit it to about 5 mins. Good luck.