Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaching Choice"

It depends on the level and it depends on the structure the player has around him off the field. In some cases the best thing that can happen to a kid is have someone in their life that can fill the void in their life. How long are they going to play the game? How long are they going to need the life lessons this coach taught them? Every kid is different. Every kids situation at home is different. Some kids have a Dad, Mom,Uncle, Sibling, someone in their life that will ensure they get the things from the game they need. HS baseball is 3 or 4 months out of the year. For some the best thing that could happen to them is have a Coach who simply teaches them things unrelated to actually playing the game. 

For me I would rather have a great guy who knows the game and can teach it. A great guy who treats my son like he was his own. A great guy who takes the time to teach life lessons through the game. Given the two choices give me the guy who is the great guy who knows nothing about the game. I can teach him that. His travel coach can teach him that. There are other resources that can help me teach that. The last thing I want is some a-hole taking the joy from the game before he's mentally capable of dealing with it. 

I personally failed more than I would like to admit. 

JMHO