Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaching cursing at players"

Originally Posted by Sfgiants:
Originally Posted by Matt13:

I would say it's not what words he's using, it's how he's using them.

Example - get my f'ing signs right or I will pull you out of this F'ing game right the F now. Not so much the words that bothered my kid but the fact that he yelled it across the field with a bleacher full of parents. I would rather he just actually pulled him and told him why he was pulled which I think would have made for a better lesson learned. 

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Ask 100 people, get 100 answers. My 15yr old has a coach that drops the f-bomb on him... One too many times for my liking. I'm paying for travel ball not for someone to curse at my kid in a way that I wouldn't even do.  With so many parents and former players on the forum id like to ask, what was/is your experience with regard to your coach(s) cursing at you? I know I will have a slew of responses telling me my son should toughen up and stop being a puss but not every kids is motivated by being cursed at and I wonder if it's just part of playing baseball or if it's unacceptable behavior and I should search for a new travel team?  Thanks all!

I coach at the HS level and I try to set the example by not swearing and I also (within reason) hold the players accountable for their language. 

That said, I am aware that many coaches at the HS and college level are known to curse quite regularly.  Most of my son's college coaches have been high ranking members of the club. (Just about every coach I ever had was certainly a member but that was long ago and not necessarily relevant today.)   Also, cursing is typically quite prevalent among the HS age kids when they are socializing amongst themselves.  I agree that not every kid is motivated by being cursed at but I believe each and every kid has a unique set of motivators.  

I think he is bothered by the delivery. Being cursed at in front of the opposing team and a bleacher full of parents is a little embarrassing. I guess the message is he needs to deal with that embarrassment and do his best to let it roll off his back.  It does however impact his wanting to play the sport he loves and I think he is quickly losing respect for his coach...thanks again

sf, I am not sure the lesson to be learned here is needing to deal with the embarrassment, do his best and let if roll off.  It seems, from what you have posted, that the lesson is to learn the signs and follow the signs which seems like something a 15 year old can do. Whatever the player did or did not do with the signs is what led to the coaches reaction, from your posting, thus far. To my reading, the coach sounds like he is frustrated because the player keeps making similar mental mistakes with the signs.  The message seems clear even though the delivery can be open to question.

Last edited by infielddad