Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaching descisions"

Lets all just take a step back here.

TPM is right about one thing, Step back and enjoy the ride.  The kid is a freshman.  Most Freshman are treated like, well Freshman.  No matter how talented the kid may be or may become the fact is that most Freshman on Frosh teams are in developmental mode.  Our Freshman team this year has something like 20 kids on it.  Of course kids are going to rotate in and out of the games, some will play more than others but it is irresponsible of the coach to play only 9 or 10 out there and let the rest of the kids sit on the bench.  That doesn't develop kids for JV and later for Varsity. 

Expect your kid to sit at times, even if the kid is better than some of the other kids out there.  The purpose of Frosh teams, and even JV teams, is to develop the kids for the future.  Playing time is important for sure but learning how to play at a HS level, with HS rules against other HS kids is important, for all of the boys on the team.

Parents can screw it up for boys, seriously by putting too much into things.  Last year my son played Freshman ball, as a Freshman.  Seemed appropriate.  He was the 'starting' 2B and played a fair amount of 3B as well as pitched.  Yay for him.  There was another kid that was athletic but very very raw that started out as our third baseman.  The coach would put the kid out there for a couple of innings but usually by the third or fourth inning the kid would be pulled because he would make repeated errors, mostly judgement mistakes.   The kid was a good kid, nice kid, and seemed to enjoy himself.  Of course my son would slide over and take his spot because Dan can (normally) field a ground ball and make the throw to 1B without issue. 

I used to listen to the mother of this kid complain every time he was pulled, talking about how he wasn't getting his chance and why some other kid has to play her son's position, like it was handed down from God himself.  I bit my tounge because the kid was a good kid and was a great teammate.  And I could see he was talented, he just needed practice and work.  And he got that and improved as the year went on.  My son was and probably always will be a better fielder and hitter but the kid probably would be a good player, certainly a Varsity kid as a senior.  But he didn't go out for baseball this year, mostly because his mother and father didn't think the team was being 'fair' to him. 

It makes me sad because the kid loved to play and would have been happy just to put on the uniform.  Now he is doing nothing because a parent didn't think he was being treated 'fairly'.

Don't read too much into anything is my point here.