Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaching kids with little to no skill"

Sometimes its mind boggling where we find ourselves in life. How we got here. What all transpired along the way leading up to this point, and did we picture it coming to this. God really has got a good sense of humor or so I think. lol. He puts us in this weird, sometimes happenstance places where there seems to be no immediate way out so that He can perfect a certain plan. Is the plan for us, others, or both? 

Coach, I could detect some great frustration in your OP and major disappointments. Most all coaches I've ever known have and are very competitive, fiery, driven, to name a few things. You're wired that way! Where am I going with this? You can easily let all of this "what and who these kids aren't" get to you and allow it to keep you one miserable wreck to be around OR perhaps view this from another perspective. I'm sitting here thinking in my mind what incredibly awesome impact you could have on these boys now and years from now. Take "self" out of the equation for a moment and sell yourself first. What's that saying again, "nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care." They start trusting and believing in you then not far behind will follow their desire and ambition to work and play hard. 

Listen Coach, you may not have one in the lot who ever becomes a bonafide player but you can't give up on your role and responsibility you've been given, and certainly not on some rag tag boys who may get more out of this than learning to play the game right. (My mind is going to the kid in the movie "Sandlot" who wore the fishing cap and had that plastic play glove that was HORRIBLE playing but became something he loved due to the game) I may be preaching to the choir here and if so, my apologies sincerely. I guess I keep having that stupid quote about lemons running through my mind about what do you do when you're handed lemons...and of course, to us that don't sit idly by we make KILLER lemonade, right?! lol. What an awesome, awesome opportunity you have in front of you. I truly and genuinely mean that. You heard some good ideas above. Cherry pick the ones you think can work, mix in some quality perseverance and inspiration and who knows what can happen. God may be a jokester at times but I will tell you this from my own life's lessons, He is totally and completely in control of where we are and what we're up against. All you need to do is quite easily - trust Him with this. 

I wish you great success and maybe one day not too far from now you can come back and share some awe-inspiring stories with us!

YGD