Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaching kids with little to no skill"

ILVBB posted:

You have a tough job. 

Last night I umpired a HS JV game in Phoenix. The game lasted 1:45 minutes, and was only 3 innings long. The score was 27-0 (it would have been more if the winning team hadn't stopped running on the basis and limiting hits to singles). The team on the short end had 10 players; two of which I know could not catch a ball. The losing team got one hit, which did not leave the infield. All 9 of there outs were via strike out.

I am amazed that here in AZ we have JV baseball teams where the kids clearly haven't played baseball. 

The only way this happens is that we are failing to bring in young people into the game. Dads don't play catch with their kids, they don't take them to games and parents think it is normal for kids not to participate in organized sport.

Starting point - make it fun, teach fundamentals; catch, throw, rules and with luck get to hitting. Find success in little things; a good bunt, no errors, no walks. With luck you will make an impact on a couple kids and with that you have a foundation for the future.

That's pretty sad that a game goes like that.  It sure doesn't help those on the loosing side keep their interest (players or parents).