Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaching your own kid"

quote:
I was fortunate and priveleged to be able to coach my son in college

AWSOME!!! That had to be a great experience. greenjump

I like the idea of "Coach" while on the field. Many kids (especially younger ones) will expect some small amount of special treatment from "Dad" and maybe get frustrated if it doesn't happen, but I think they'd realize that a COACH absolutely doesn't play favorites.

I haven't had many problems arise from coaching my own son, but it does happen. On a couple of occasions I've made an example out of him at a practice for horseplay, after reflecting for a couple of days I felt like I over reacted. I think for the most part though when we've had problems it hasn't been so much on the field but
a) driving home after a frustrating practice or game, or
b) while practicing at home in the yard I was being a coach instead of a dad.

So now we don't talk about a practice or game until at least the following day, unles my son is the one to bring it up. Someone on another board said that he likes to set the example of the even-keeled adult, don't get down about bad games, but likewise don't get too high even after a good game, I think that's a good idea.

As far as being too much of a coach at home, there were many times when I'd be somewhat pushy about 'it's time to practice now' and then really push to stay focused on what we were practicing etc. Sometimes that didn't go over real well and I've learned to back off. I've searched and searched for ways to motivate my son to practice at home and finally found a good carrot to use. Our kids have had a daily limit on TV, video games, etc. since they were toddlers. My son's in middle school and is really into playing online games, so now for every X number of balls hit off the Tee, or for every X number of minutes that we long toss, or for every X number of line drives hit at the batting cage he earns extra minutes for his online gaming. Naturally school work comes before anything, but that's a non-issue with my kids. (BRAGGING TIME - son's lowest report card grade so far this year was a 97.) Now he'll come to me and asks to go outside and throw or hit (I think aside from earning extra online time he's realizing that with the Tee work etc. that he's showing good improvement).

Last, I'll just add that I finally learned to appreciate the time spent with my son enjoying baseball together. It's not all about winning games, and not even about him making it to the next level (HS Team), but we're both doing something we enjoy together and we're both still learning.