Skip to main content

Reply to "Cold Weather Power 5 RHP Velocity"

A few things. The first being that those 86-89 guys being recruited to cold weather P5s, break 90 after a semester on campus. So when it is all said and done you can go to any cold weather ACC/Big 10/12 and see almost all 90+ guys. Sure less 95 guys than the SEC but it is still majority 90+. They are still recruiting based on projection. I'm looking at a cold weather school in a P5 and all the 2021/2022 recruits are 87+. 

As for P5 opportunities - yes there are plenty if you're from the SE. The best players from the NE head south to the top programs so they don't have play in the cold in April. That is a big reason coaches from cold weather states don't bother much with the southern guys. It is too hard to convince a kid to leave his warm weather and year round baseball to come north and literally not be able to get on a field from Thanksgiving to March. Which is also a reason why Juco baseball is so good in warmer weather baseball hotbeds - not enough D1s, but more than enough talent. So a juco kid in Tx, Ga, LA, etc could very well play P5 somewhere colder. Plus the cold weather coaches recruit cold weather players because they are used to throwing 2 days after it snowed. 

From what I'm picking up cold weather P5 programs are starting to put money into indoor facilities. Makes sense considering thats where the team spends 4-5 months a year. I watched a Feb game on opening weekend 2 years ago. Cold D1 vs ranked P5. Cold school was getting beat pretty good when announcer says how impressed he is with how they look - It was the first time they had been outside since last fall game in October. 

Advantages: Education, there are some really good schools up north, especially the publics. Generally the northern schools are better. BC, ND, almost all of the Big 10 are great places to get a degree from. Also, 4 year guaranteed $. Baseball is not as strong as SEC but still pretty good all things considered. 

Disadvantages: Snow in March.  Not getting on a field all winter. 

Last edited by PABaseball