Skip to main content

Reply to "Cold Weather Power 5 RHP Velocity"

1. LousyLefty posted:

Since this thread briefly talked about “culture”...any advice on how to tell/tools for deciding if your kid can hack it in a completely different environment?  Husband and I are both lifelong Westcoasters.  Lefty is a high academic kid.  It looks like most of the schools on the list we are building are in a significant distance away.  Most would also involve a weather change and a culture change.  Granted he will change quite a bit in the next 2.5 years, but that’s a lot.  If he were going for just academics I would worry less.  Seriously, how do your pitchers keep their fingers loose enough for movement on pitches when it’s snowing?!

My son grew up in South Florida, which has a very unique culture that may not be for everyone.  Both of my kids embraced the diversity.  

Although he decided to attend what may be considered a school in the south, with a cooler climate, he wasn't very interested in attending LSU, Baylor or Mississippi  or a few other programs where in state student population was very close to 100%. Not sure if that is the case now, but it's something to consider.  This was pointed out to him during the process. 

In a state as large as Florida, there is a significant difference between population in the farthest schools north to the farthest school south. There definetly is a culture difference that may or may not be for everyone.  Take the 2 ACC programs in FL. Totally different makeup in the school as well as the baseball team. 

When choosing a program in a cold weather location, keep in mind that many many programs travel every weekend to warmer weather states. You can see that when schedules are posted. It's not for everyone.

I will add one thing that I learned. Being close to where your son will play, is very important. Not so much for you, but for him. Nothing better than looking up and seeing your family in the stands. 

Been there done that, just my opinion.

Last edited by TPM