Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

I agree with Fenway's approach.  My son is at a very high academic D1 and it is very, very difficult.  Although my son did very well in high school, he falls into the group that utilized baseball to help gain admission to a school he otherwise would not likely have gained admission to.  Now that he's there, reality has set in and he's working hard to do the very best he can.  Missing class is just part of the reality of their world, though he's not missing at nearly the rate I'm sure some others are.  We just try to support him.  Both of us as his parents as well as him do not expect he will match his HS academic performance and we are open about that.  He puts enough pressure on himself without Mom and Dad adding to it.  Every couple of weeks I ask him "how he's doing" and he knows that  I'm not asking about school, baseball or friends (female or otherwise) - rather I'm just checking in to make sure his outlook and mental state is staying positive.  Knowing that his parents support him and recognize that what he's doing is hard has been enough to keep him going so far.