Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

ilovebaseball posted:

I'm needing some advice here - *don't get me wrong, he's happy he's able to play at this (D1) level - he's starting conference games!  I don't think he (or we as parents) knew the amount of time he'd be traveling and away from his studies.  He told me last weekend - "we're not student athletes, we're athletes that attend 25% of our classes".  He's a business major and has a 4.0 right now (I know, we should't complain) - looking for feedback as to your experience and what we should say to him. Right now, we're saying "we support you in whatever decision you want to make - grades and graduation come first".

Is it at all possible he was just venting?  Raising our kids we have grown accustom to them telling us things because they want us to "fix" it but really sometimes they are just venting. 

Maybe you should ask him if he would change anything.  I'm sure you raised him to fight his own battles and fix his own problems, is he considering this an actual problem? That would be my first question.