Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

I'll admit....my son's grades were a concern when he decided to accept a scholarship at a D1 to play baseball.  He was a good student in HS...ended up with a 3.6 GPA and a 31 ACT.  His sister had graduated 2 years earlier with a 4.0 and a 32 ACT.  He could have done the 4.0 thing....and I don't think it would have taken him much effort.  In 4 years, I can count on one hand how many times he brought a book home.  He just got the stuff....and really didn't have to work hard to get the 3.6.

My concern was that when he got to college, his "I'll just get it" attitude would be a major issue....as college courses are much, much more difficult than HS. 

Luckily this hasn't been the case.  The freshmen were required to attend 8 hours/week of "study tables" the first semester.  He did it....and ended up with a 3.49 GPA while taking a couple math classes that really really challenged him. 

His GPA allowed him to get out of study tables the second semester....which I think is kind of crazy considering baseball starts and he'll be missing classes....but that's the school's rule....not mine.

It's been a little tougher....with juggling practices, travel and school.  Grades are about the same....but I'm hearing complaining about classes, etc that I didn't hear the first half of the year.  I assume that his time is just very limited now and it's making everything seem more clustered.

At this point, it appears he'll get thru the year about where he/we had hoped/expected.  The amount of time he's spent traveling has been much more than we had expected.  Really had never considered that a weekday road trip to a school 2-3 hours away would turn into a 12+ hour day from the time they left in the morning until they got back that night.  They got back from their spring trip at 4:30am on Monday morning and had class at 9....and have gotten back from road trips (weekday or Sunday) as late as 2:00am and are required to be at class the next morning.

So far so good, as far as I know he's still enjoying it...but I'm getting the feeling it's a little different than he initially expected.  It's definitely school & baseball.....not the other way around....lol