Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

Since I may have aided in getting this post off track, I am ready to get it back on track as I am very interested in the particulars of how a college player manages.  As I remember college, you could choose between MWF and TuTh classes.  I understand that they expect the player to plan classes for the morning and I assume that includes some MWF classes during both semesters.  In the fall, I assume having to miss a class is infrequent and there is little if any weekend travel.  As you move into the spring, hopefully you can lighten the load and take fewer classes (perhaps only 4 preferably 5).  Travel starts up to include some long weekends (possibly leaving Thursday night - assume getting back late Sunday or even early hours Monday) along with some mid-week out of town games.  Towards the end of the season, exams start and scheduling becomes increasing important.

My couple of questions that I seem to get conflicting answers on are as follows:  Should you try to squeeze in hours/classes during the summer (including the summer before freshman year) to get ahead of the curve?  Has technology benefited physical absence from the classroom?  Can you take online courses which count towards the 12 hour semester minimum for eligibility?

In rereading the OP, I was wondering if the kid is overwhelmed by baseball taking time away from everything, and not just academics.  Honestly, my son won't complain about too little classroom time.  I'm hoping at some point he complains about the workload and possible scheduling conflicts (can't take a required course a particular semester due to baseball conflict), but first/second semester I'm hoping he simply survives.  I'm not saying it would be a cake walk without baseball (lots of kids simply wash out due to too much time on their hands) so I'm hoping the intensely structured environment might actually benefit him.