Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

Here is my son's experience for class load, timing etc. When he first signed up for classes in summer before freshman year for fall classes. there was a big block 1pm-6pm- Baseball that he was not supposed to schedule classes. He ended up with one night class (6:15pm-9:15 or something like that), 4 classes somewhere between 8am-noon throughout the week and one online class for a 6 classes (18 hours, I think). During the fall. he had lifting 3-4 days a week before his first class, then class, practice times 1-6pm. His practices were staggered but basically 2 - 2 1/2 hours a day. Included in that 1-6pm was mandatory study table 10 hours a week.

For spring he had 5 classes, one evening on Monday 6:15pm - 9:15pm, 2 classes Tuesday Thursday between 8am-noon and 2 online classes. Online classes are like any other class and count towards your hours. Generally for away games on weekends. They left around 1pm on Thursdays. He was still required to get his 10 hours mandatory study table a week in. For mid week games, if you weren't playing for sure, you don't go if you are going to miss class. . So weekend starting pitchers, and whomever else coach decides don't go. Last year my son was the mid week starting pitcher, so he went to them. 

This year is much the same. He is hurt and out for season but gets to go if it does not mean he will miss class. 

He has two teammates who are taking majors that require internships (they are both going to be teachers). So they miss anything mid week and then make up there baseball work in evening from what I am told. Both are relievers in there senior season.

On a side note, I love that mandatory study table is required. Every college he visited said they did that for freshmen. He is a good student but had never had to work at grades, study tables forced him to be organized for academics and gave specific time for it. Truly as a parent of 3 current or former college students and only one of them an athlete. I wish they did that for all freshman. He was much more organized with his studies than my other 2 and I attribute a part of that to study tables.