Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

fanofgame posted:

Also stop with the bashing of types of degrees. My son got liberal arts degree for several reasons. Yes its tough in the job market but he didnt nor does he want to be a dr or engineer(not knocking either of those or any degree) My own son wanted a business degree but coming ftom a jc after one year and being at a private school and requirements were different he could not finish in four years. Being on athletic money had to finish in four years. 

The constant cuts on so called easy degrees really bugs me. For some kids thats what they can do with baseball on top of it  dont assume theyare lazy or not as smart. 

FanofGame,

Accepting your point that we shouldn't criticize broad categories of degrees, we should also acknowledge that:

--There are degrees that do not tell prospective employers that graduates are prepared to contribute to a business.

--There are fields of study that produce far more graduates than their related occupational fields can absorb.

--There are degrees that do not become marketable until they are combined with a follow-on graduate or professional program.

--Many college graduates are trapped in jobs whose pay is too low to service the debt on the degrees that didn't help them land better jobs.

Athletes do need to be warned that not all degrees will help them get started in careers, even with the brand name of a good school at the top of the transcript.

Last edited by Swampboy