Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

If I was bashing degrees, then it was directed at the program itself, not individual student-athletes making thoughtful decisions on what degree to pursue.  There seem to be some degree programs (think UNC) that survive only to cater to athletes who don't know any better and are pressured, I mean advised, to pursue these degrees due to the ability to maintain eligibility for the foreseeable future (i.e. next season) so the coaches can keep their jobs.  Again, this is largely related to D1 money sports at institutions - or segments thereof - which place more emphasis on the athlete and less on the student.  I personally think playing college baseball will add marketability to any degree with the possible exception of some really technical fields.  I also think it can add a level of maturity that will help during the initial years out in the workforce.  I'm not bashing degree choice, I'm bashing a degree path being rubber stamped for some unprepared kid who might not know any better.

Am looking forward to some of the NCAA D1 eligibility standards getting ready to go into effect.  On the football and basketball side, there may be some players who no longer get eligible through "diploma mills" as the rules will no longer allow for a massive retake of D/F courses during the final year, the final summer, or even online over Christmas.  Hopefully this sinks in and pushes those kids to engage in school a little sooner and be better prepared once they show up on campus (and maybe make their own choice on the degree path).  Have seen several major D1 recruits who are signing NLI's for both the D1 program as well as some JUCO program as a backup as they come down to the wire on academic eligibility.