Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

I haven't been on the site for a while for various reasons and I haven't read all the subsequent comments but I will throw my 2 cents in.

College is hard for most. It is completely different than HS. My son was graduated in top 25-30 out of 500 or so. Had a high GPA. Scored well on Math-ACT, English-not so much.  But he didn't know how to study. Never had to study much in HS.

I never realized how time consuming playing college baseball is. I had pictured it, incorrectly, as maybe getting to the field before 7AM daily and doing something for 1-3 hrs and then going to class/study, etc. Nope, a player may have to be at the field 2-3 different times each day.  Classes are not all consecutive and together. They are broken up. My son's time management skills were/are horrendous. Mine at that age probably were too. When I was in college, I started my college classes at 8 every day and was finished by noon except for labs.  It is different now.

Son's coaches though do stay on top of their players. His academic advisor does too.  HC reamed my son a new one last December because his grades for his Freshman Fall semester were not where they should be.  He was at 2.75 or so.  Thankful for the Summer classes which kept the GPA above 3.00.  Although grades are important to coaches, baseball is too. They expect both from their athletes. My son changed his major from Mechanical Engineering to Pre-Law (one day) and is now in Pre-Med. Who knows where he will end up. I just want him to have core courses taken so he doesn't have to take extra hours but we will see.

He drove home last night, finished for the semester. He will end up with a 3.00 or 3.25 for the Spring so he will have an overall Freshman GPA of slightly above 3.00.  That's not what I wanted or expected but looking back, I probably expected too much. He says that he learned late in the Spring semester how to study (we will see).  But it has got to be his choice.

My wife and loved seeing him late last night. His idea of packing is to throw everything in garbage sacks. His truck was crammed full including the futon that his GF was discarding that he drove 8 hours home with in the back....

PS: My daughter on the other hand is not an athlete but is graduating after 5 years from Texas A&M next Saturday with her Masters in Accounting, Emphasis in Tax (and 4.0 GPA in her Master courses). She has qualities he doesn't have and likewise, he has some she doesn't.   WHOOP!!!

Last edited by RedFishFool