Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athletes & Grades"

Swampboy posted:
playball2011 posted:

Wow Swampboy, u can tell someone is unemployable by looking at his resume. Maybe he's a wrong fit for a certain job after being interviewed  where specific ques are asked.  Some of the most gifted kids in class are the ones who only score so-so on tests. Let's hold judgement untill more  info is known.

maybe he wants to go into another field w grad degree. Many law students are English majors. Who knows this young mans real story. 

Well, yes. I was once in charge of hiring for a very large organization, and now I hire for the teams I supervise at a smaller organization. Having seen a couple thousand resumes from new college grads looking for their first "real" job after school, I can often distinguish quickly between the young people for whom college was about enjoying the experience and the ones who were there to work to prepare themselves for adult responsibilities and adult opportunities. 

Thanks for reminding me that many unemployed English majors enroll in law school and incur additional debt to gain credentials in a field that is even more difficult to get established in than academia. It does reinforce my point, and it is gracious of you to offer it.

At the present time law school is considered a bad career choice unless attending the elite law schools or graduating at or near the top of the class in the law schools at the next level. The same currently applies to obtaining an MBA. Some undergraduate degrees require the student continue on to obtain an MA.

Last edited by RJM