Skip to main content

Reply to "College Ball Change"

Information I got said over 80% of the college coaches that voted favored the flat seam ball. Probably true about the ball traveling farther.  Nothing scientific, but we have seen HS kids hitting with wood hit that flat seam ball an amazing distance. In fact Joey Gallo hit one of the longest HRs ever hit at Petco against a 94 mph fastball.  17 year old kid with wood hitting one farther than most anyone in a Big League park. 

Question for the physics guys.  Most HRs especially the real long ones require backspin for carry. So depending on the amount of spin would it increase or decrease the amount of carry between flat and high seam ball?

I really enjoy these type discussions.  Always learn something from those that understand the science behind things.

College baseball is a great game with or without using wood.  I just wish the same equipment was used at all the higher levels, like in other sports. Pitchers just love it when they throw a pitch that shatters a bat. So long as the shrapnel doesn't go in their direction.