Skip to main content

Reply to "College Ball Change"

Originally Posted by rynoattack:

Originally Posted by bballman:

Not to speak for PG and some of the other showcase providers, but I believe part of the reason PG has the kids use wood bats is for 2 reasons.  One is because they have pro scouts that are looking at kids and want to see how they hit with wood.  Totally different than metal.  The other is even college coaches get a better idea of how kids can really hit by seeing them hit with wood.  If a kid can jack it with wood, they certainly will do much better than with metal.  I don't think PG or these other showcase providers are making much, if any money from the sale of wood bats.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it has a lot more to do with scouting than money making.

I understand the concept you mention, just don't feel it is as necessary as we are made to believe.  the BBCOR bats have changed things some.  I also don't think the showcases are making money on the bats, i think they have more events because of them. 

BBCOR bats have changed the game A LOT. HRs down by 1/2 after they were introduced in college. Runs down as well. It's well documented. Not sure what you mean by there being more events because of wood bats. I think the tournaments would be held whether the players used wood or metal.