Skip to main content

Reply to "College Baseball and Covid"

@RoadRunner posted:

Serious question:  are you suggesting to keep all kids home because some families have that difficult choice?  

No. I'm suggesting that whatever situation you are in as a parent, it's difficult. My niece is 8, she is going to school. The girl she sits next to was sent was sent home yesterday with a fever and sore throat. If her classroom get shut down her parents, who both work full-time, will have to find child care. Best option is my dad who would love to do it, but is 80

So far, our entire 6th grade is online, along with a class of first graders because they have cases in their classrooms. Those things happen in the snap of a finger without notice, leaving parents scrambling.

Another friend's kid is also 8. Her parents are keeping her home and doing remote learning. The mom, who works for me in a job that really can be done remotely, has apologized repeatedly for missing deadlines because remote learning is turning into a full time job for her in terms of monitoring what the kid is doing, that the computer is working right, etc. Hopefully this will get easier as people get more used to it, but right now, it's tough.

Deciding which option to use is hard. Then deciding what you need to make it work also is hard. And then making your decision work in the real world is also hard.

I'm just saying very few people have anything like "easy accommodations" right now.