Skip to main content

Reply to "College Baseball and Covid"

I almost posted this on The D1 Trap but decided to keep it here and not kill another thread.  The problem this year is that with Covid rules, some are playing by them because they care about baseball and others are breaking them because they care more about their social experience than their baseball.  They would rather party and hang out with friends even if it jeopardizes the team's ability to practice and play baseball.  When you realize there are truly only 3 parts of college for an athlete, you can tell the ones who choose the sport and the academics versus the ones who choose academics and social and definitely the ones who choose the sport and social. 

To me it goes back to when we were younger playing travel.  Most families went to the tournament looking for what they could do.  We went to the tournament to play baseball.  I despised the parents that allowed their kid to go to the beach during a world series and get sunburned and not be able to play.  You are there for baseball not vacation.  But I knew I was in the minority.  We had a family that wanted to miss a pool play game at Disney for Elite 32 to go to the theme park.  I voted if they missed that game the kid was not allowed to play the rest of the tournament, but I was outvoted. 

I think the same way with college.  It is hard for me to realize that even at a P5 some guys are there more for the social than the baseball.  I reckon I expected everyone who went to a P5 to play baseball would be fully committed to baseball, but I'm wrong.  You have all your life to be social and party and get drunk.  Your baseball career will only last a few more years no matter how good you are.