Skip to main content

Reply to "College Baseball and Covid"

I'm with @cabbagedad on this one.  I'm not a fan of micromanaging/helicoptering the process.  Most of the best lessons and growth come from mistakes and failure - at any age.  What's more, for a young player to TRULY buy in to the lesson, he NEEDS to stub his toe first.  If your child has truly bought into theoretical lessons/toe stubs mandated down verbally by you, then you're the exception.  Buy a lottery ticket!  Me, I've yet to see a 10 year old boy say "you know what, father?  That's a wise piece of advice that I plan on following.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention."  Spoiler alert - if that's your kid, he's going be a CFO or a brain surgeon, not a ball player. 

As with anything in life, I think balance is key.  if you're traveling 100% only for baseball, you might be wound up too tight.  Especially if your child is 12 or younger.  My son is about as serious as you'll find.  Started playing 8U travel ball at age 7.  He's been obsessive about baseball since about age 4.  But he was also a 4 year old boy back then.  Later a an 8 year old boy.  So on and so forth.  You can allow your serious child ball player to be both a serious ball player and a child concurrently.  They're not mutually exclusive.  

Despised parents who didn't parent exactly as you do?  Seems a bit stringent to me.  In my mind, you may have been able to alleviate hard feelings by doing more homework up front.  Want a team full of parents and players that are just like you?  Then ask those hard questions upfront before signing on.  I don't have a problem to anyone who wants to be super strict and solely focused on baseball, but if that's the case, bring it up ahead of time.  Come to a consensus as a team.  Before you hop on a plane to Orlando with thousands of dollars in play.  Now, if all agreed ahead of time to lock things down tightly but broke their promises, that's a different story.