Skip to main content

Reply to "College Baseball and Covid"

Danj, we had played together for several years.  This one family was the problem all the time.  Would not show up for tournaments for various reasons.  We had agreed as parents on both occasions that all extra activities would happen after the world series.  Stay after we are done playing and do your family stuff.  Don't go to the beach except in moderation.  To me it is not parenting style but RESPECT.  When 13 parents have paid thousands of dollars to go to a World Series at the beach or at Disney, you respect the other families and make wise decisions.  Go to the pool, but never before you play.  Find things to do as a family and a team but not that interfere with the games.  Do stuff at night but make sure your player goes to bed at a reasonable time if you have an early game.   Be at the field 1 hour before game time no matter how early it is.  I don't see any of that as parenting style but respect for others.  I think the same thing plays out with colleges right now.  It comes down to respecting your teammates and seeing that you may have to do without some things so that you and others get to play baseball.  No different than in other areas of life right now.  I think we have lost a true respect for our military, police, and in general others.  RESPECT is one of the things I learned growing up in rural America and it seems to be slowly going out the window.  You could say "There is no I in RESPECT."