Skip to main content

Reply to "College baseball and emotions"

quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
Last night, the 8th and 9th innings of TCU/FSU game in Omaha was about as exciting and emotional as baseball gets. The two innings, and the ESPN coverage was right up there with watching justbaseball on TV cheering his son in that terrific 2008 game with Miami.
The contrast between the TCU/FSU dugouts and players on the grand slam was poignant. Joy for TCU, the utter anguish for the FSU pitcher and players.
Turned around, in the bottom of the 8th, the anguish for that same FSU player making the 3rd out with the bases loaded. Again, I thought ESPN illustrated the emotions of success and disappointment in baseball in very real ways.
When they get to Omaha, it is easy and fun to watch and celebrate the winners.
Seeing the anguish on the faces of the losing team is touching and is one of those reminders that Baseball truly is life.

I felt the same way...

It seems you can see recruiting philosophies on full display as well. FSU loves bigger guys who can mash the ball and I think they'll live with the defense they get. Unfortunately, that cost them big time with 5 errors probably leading to their downfall.

UCLA has the most impressive pitching top to bottom. I believe most of their money is tied up in pitching as I don't see the offensive stars - someone set me straight if I am wrong.

I was impressed with TCU's hitting. I like the way their guys swing the bat - very fundamentally sound and smooth strokes to the ball. Matt Purke is the best pitcher I have seen all year - slightly above Gerrit Cole of UCLA. The young pitcher who closed the game out for TCU last night was very impressive. He was doing the intimidating - not Florida State's hitters.

Clemson is using smoke and mirrors getting to the finals. They are getting good pitching performances. Alex Fredrick came out of the bullpen the other day with the bases loaded and nobody out. Unbelievable poise there.

South Carolina is a fundamentally sound and hard-nosed team. Jackie Bradley Jr. may be the best pure hitter I have seen this year.

Oklahoma has some boppers on their team. I was surprised how many kids from California are on their roster.