Skip to main content

Reply to "College Baseball Reality"

Picked Off posted:
JCG posted:
57special posted:

Know another coupla kids who are killing it in mid majors...one threw over 80 innings.  Who cares if you are at a great program if your ass is on the bench?

For some kids, absolutely agree. The point I was trying to make above is that for others, the question could be "who cares if your ass is on the bench if you are at a great program?"

And that's not just Ivies.  Could be many schools from UNC to Michigan to Cal.  I follow Cal, and most players I have seen hang in there as long as they can, playing time or not.  They want the Cal degree.  

Son’s best friend was a scholy player at Cal. He had baseball money and FA money. Basically, free. Worked hard both baseball and academically. Never saw more than 30 innings pitched, total for 4 years. Most times he made the travel squad but not always. He was a great teammate. I give Coach Esquers a ton of credit, he made a commitment to the kid, the kid lived up to his end and the coach stood by him knowing that he wasn’t going to be an impact player. He graduated with a Cal degree, was part of a great team and learned from that experience. Most kids would do anything just to get excepted to Cal, let alone with a scholarship, financial aid and a uniform. 

Treat the player right with respect and honesty, maybe in return you have created a dedicated alumni who donates and gives back to the baseball program.  You never know who is watching.....I've heard this before