Skip to main content

Reply to "College Baseball Reality"

dialedin posted:

I don't know what P5 is (sorry). I did not realize that a scholarship could be revoked. That's kind of scary. We realize it won't be much $$ and he'd be fortunate to get any, but every bit helps. He is very realistic about his abilities and where he will be applying but maybe we will reassess everything at this point. Even a few thousand dollars makes a difference and if there is a constant threat of it being revoked. Yikes. Thanks for the info ... we learn something new every day!

P5 = Power 5 Conferences (B10, ACC, Pac-12, Big 12, and SEC).  Just an acronym for the biggest 5 NCAA Division I conferences.

Cabbage has seen and knows much more than I on this topic.  So as he notes, even lower level DIs can and do reduce or "pull" baseball athletic scholarships.  But that being said, I wouldn't characterize it as "a constant threat" of being revoked as you say in your post above.  Yes, the student athlete should have his eyes wide open and should work as hard as possible, keep up grades and be the best teammate as possible.  That's all he can control.  It does no good to dwell on it.

Not sure where you are in the process, but maybe you could do some due diligence as to how many players remain on the roster all 4 years or talk with graduates who formerly played in the program (or their parents) to see if the program has "cut" scholarship players or frequently reduce scholarship amounts, at least to try to get a general sense of things.  There is no guarantee though - take your best shot and hope it works out and is a good experience for your son, academically, athletically and socially.