Skip to main content

Reply to "College Baseball Rosters - Out of State Players"

Depends on $$ and what the state does.

For example in GA the HOPE Scholarship (lottery) pays for instate tuition if your GPA is above 3.0 and full ride for 3.5? Correct me if I'm wrong, but then schools like GA and GT don't need to eat too much into their 11.7 as others have said and can afford to go after and help out those Out of State recruits. 

All the coaches talked about winning the state for recruiting. But Forbes at UNC said we'll take a guy from Ohio if he's better than an instate guy.

Then you have the private school "funny money" places like Vandy with "opportunity Vanderbilit" make it cheaper to attend Vandy than instate at Univ Tenn.

Stanford has endowment money and after the list price of something like $70K it was going to be $12-15K after endowment money. 

My son really liked UVA but it was late in the recruiting process and Coach O"Connor was honest and mentioned he was at his last spot and financials didn't look good. If my son would have gotten a 25% offer, being out of state, it would have still been upwards of $130K for 4 years. 

Texas has reciprocity with Arkansas so depending on your GPA and SAT score you can get 80-90% of the out of state fees paid for.  

https://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/

Some programs offer academic money too. Others don't. Forbes said it was impossible and only went to NC residents and hardly ever saw it. 

We also have Tx Promise fund in TX which allows you to purchase college credits when the kid is born and pre-pay for college which is a HUGE discount. Works for any public school in the state and if you go out of state you get the cash value, with interest so that is a nice option to have.

But yeah, it was going to be hard to beat instate tuition compared to other programs, but my son was hell bent on getting out of Texas to play.

Luckily too for us there are 6 direct flights a day to ATL from Austin on Delta and 3 on Southwest. 

Going to be hard to not be there to watch. Got the ESPN App on the TV so I can watch ACC games. 

Last edited by Eokerholm