Skip to main content

Reply to "College camp invites- are they ever personal???"

2forU posted:
Gov posted:

2018 has picked up lot of camp invites as well.  The only personal camp invites son received were directly from a coach after watching his play at showcase's.  

Anybody on "CaptainU"?  We signed up for the basic service at no cost - son added enough info and video's to get his points above 1000.  I upped to the fee per month service, because I was curious.  The result was a ton of camp invites.  Seems to be a portal that the player pays for camp invites.  Kind of a joke...  Curious if anyone has a different take on CaptainU ?

Yes, my oldest and I used the site.  It was helpful to get us organized for the price.  For us it was a great help, but many misleading invitations came from the site, not due to the site, but due to the delegation of authority that comes from the Recruiting schools HC to the assistant fund raising coach (or whatever title they had).  We believed we were in discussion directly with a RC in the beginning, exchanging email, phone numbers, video, etc., and as we probed deeper into the correspondence and conversation, the person was delegated by the coach to pack the camps. (I asked him outright if the HC had ever seen the profile or the video or if the assistant had - answer was no). HC had a benefits package that included revenue from all camps.  Personally, I liked the site because it helped with organization and the various canned letters that come with the subscription were helpful when you have not written those letters before.  If you want more info, let me know.  We did receive several invites that were personalized, email addresses, cell numbers, desk numbers, all screened by the assistant at various schools.  I do not know if this is typical, but very misleading and initially disappointing.

Confirms what I thought.  I recently cancelled it after a few months of service.  Felt like we were paying Captain U to put my son on their master mailing lists to colleges, which in turn invited my son to their camps.  I risked a few months of the service, not much of a loss.  I could tell his skills video had been looked at quite a bit....