Skip to main content

Reply to "College catchers"

Linear,
Don't have a dog in this fight but like to say a few things, some of which have already been said.
In defense of college coaches, I do beleive that what happens is that during the recruiting process parents and players only hear WHAT they want to hear, they do not ask questions that will help in the decision making. They are just so happy that their son has been given an opportunity to play that much is left unsaid, some are afraid to dig deep.
In defense of parents and players, some aspects are sometimes conveniently left out of the recruiting process, intentioanlly. Some coaches have no need to take more than they do, but some coaches can and will if the opportunity arises.
I don't think son ever thought he was guaranteed anything other than that to earn a starting spot he needed to work hard on and off the field. As Prepster stated, the constant competition among players makes for them to develop into the best players they can be for the team. It's created by the coaches and exists on purpose.
It's very hard for a coach to determine what type of player one will be a year (when they committ) later when they come to school. Some are hurt, some are just not what expected, grades werenot as good as should be, coach found someone else along the way.

As it was explained to me recently, the job of the recruiting coach, in a top D1 program, is to sign the BEST players he can to field a team that can particiapate year after year in the regional field. In the smaller schools, it is to win their conference championship. All programs have different goals. If perhaps a championship team is developed along the way, that's a bonus. And if perhaps there is a weakness, then the coach goes looking to fill that need, or sometimes they get caught because who they thought would be drafted wasn't, or too many were and left. Ineligible players, transfers out. It's a constant replenishing of the need. This year a junior pitcher came to the roster. Did they need another pitcher, no. Did they need a pitcher who could throw 95, unhittable slider and a closer, yes. Did they need him to get closer to a championship, maybe, maybe not. Are some pitchers going to be left out, no. They will all fill a role, but in which has yet to be determined. Some players know they will never get the start, but that's ok, they accept that, it is their choice to stay. Being part of the TEAM is most important to them.

Is a fall roster of 45-50 fair and ethical, no. Would I send my son to a school that over recruits, no. Would I send my son to a school who does not recruit enough, no.

The issue is, parents and players need to come to an understanding of where to draw the line during the recruiting phase. Understand the options, not get caught off guard come the fall. So you are correct in stating, that they must do their homework. Most parents DO not do this, but hopefully through guidance more an more will.

But to generalize that all coaches are liars is unfair and unless you have been through the process, have a son that played or plays to see and understand what does go on, then I as a parent would not take your statements too seriously.

JMO