Skip to main content

Reply to "College catchers"

The most important thing to me as my son decided on where he would go to college was who he would play for. His options included some of the best academic schools in the country, so I knew that his academic needs would be met.

Pertaining to baseball, I had to trust the coach and his staff without question or hesitation or I would have stepped in and my son would have had to move on. My son knows the catching situation at his university and where the coaching staff feels he will fit in. He watched the team play prior to signing his letter. He made an informed choice and is looking forward to earning playing time and helping his team be successful.

In Division I baseball, the objective is to win. Best players play. That's understood. A coach will give you his anticipation of your son's role as he sees it. You must make the decision as to whether or not you trust him. If you don't, you have to power to continue searching for the right match and a coach you are comfortable with.

There are many great D-1 coaches, men of the highest integrity and ethics. If you cannot find one in this country, then you need a mirror to find the cynic that is keeping you from making intelligent decisions.

To state that all Division I coaches lie is unfair and irresponsible. Of course some are more ethical and honest than others, but that exists in every business you see. We are responsible for the choices we make. Coaches have backgrounds and histories that can be checked. Look at their programs and what they've done. Then decide. There will be times when things don't work out for one reason or another, but that's life. Not every problem is attributable to a dishonest coach, however.

I'm sending my son to a school more than 600 miles from my home, to live on his own for the first time. I trust the university and the coaching staff that will give him the framework of his college experience, on and off the baseball diamond.
Last edited by Baseballdad1228