Skip to main content

Reply to "College catchers"

At the time the Fullerton coaches started scouting my son games for a potential catchers scholarship, he was recuperating from a sore rotator cup he acquired closing games as a pitcher after he'd already caught six innings. Game after game the coaches attended in hopes to see him play defense only to find him designated hitting. During that time,as they put it, they started to notice his leadership/team player qualities while he was in the dug out. He's been the starting quarterback for his HS football team and has a natural ability as a positive leader which his team mates respected and Fullerton admired. Finally, the scouts saw their first look at him in the catchers role and offered him a scholarship which we accepted.

During the meeting with the coaches at our home, some of the questions we asked were the same in the replies above. Mainly, I asked if he'd get lost in the system being since the team has at least 7 catchers on their roster. They explained that some are strictly bull pin catchers while a few others will either be leaving next year or moving to a different position.

I'm not sure if this answers any questions but it's been our experience to date.