Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

First, is playing baseball at this college or their academics more important in this situation? It’s how he decides if he transfers or not. If it’s a high academic you stay. If it’s Timbuktu U transferring is an option. 

Everything in his life isn’t going to be rosy. I got my dream job out of college. Consider it like a high academic college. But I detested my boss. He wasn’t a manager. He was an authoritative boss living three decades in the past. When I started an MBA at night he told me not to get smart and quit on him. 

I kept the job long enough to use my established experience and the reputation of having worked there to eventually find a better job. But I stuck it out until it was the right time to leave. 

When a person quits and runs it gets easier to do the next time. This may be the first mentally tough test of his young adult life. The situation may not change. But your son may change into maturing to deal with it. 

What happens if your son transfers and the next coach doesn’t turn out to be a nice guy? 

As a final note, after my son’s redshirt soph year the coach left. The new coach didn’t respect what my son was trying to accomplish academically. He made it tough on my son. He mocked him. After being a starter he didn’t start the first two games the following season. My son never spoke of quitting. But he did call me ticked off a few times to let off steam. He did stay mentally prepared, delivered in Sunday’s game and started the rest of the season.

Last edited by RJM