Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

I think your son will figure it out all by himself. A little background - My son went to Notre Dame as an architect major and played his first year of Fall ball. Not sure if you know Aaron Heilman but he was the big pitcher for them at the time. Aaron loved my son and told coach to keep him on the team as his bullpen guy. Coach told my son he would never get game time but he would be on the team as long as he switched his major (because architects spend a year in Italy). My son thanked him but stayed in the architect program and is very successful today. It broke my heart but it was the right decision. 

I am a college coach and I think a pretty compassionate one. Sometimes that gets in the way of making a correct decision, but that's OK with me. I know your guy is in Fall ball but is he going to be rostered in the spring? If yes since he loves the school then just stick it out and keep his head down, love his teammates and things will work out. As in life you will come across every possible personality trait among coaches.  So if he's a hard ass it's a non issue and your guy will deal with it.