Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

SUMOM3 posted:

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies.  I passed your advice on to my son.  His dad and I are still reeling from hearing this but we’re trying really hard not to let our feelings cloud the advice we give him (I want to say “please stay and play!”).  He is on track towards his degree and loves the school otherwise.  He just told me he doesn’t want to transfer because he feels so settled there.  So if he decides to quit the team, it sounds like his baseball career will be over.  I Hate to even think about that, but it’s his choice.  I’m hoping he at least sticks it out for the year and then decides. 

Though not exactly the same, I can relate to your heartbreak a little bit. My nephew is only a sophomore in HS, but he recently decided he didn't want to pursue college ball (though he had a real chance at a competetive D1 program). His mom and I are still wrapping our heads around his decision (and secretly hoping he changes his mind). My boss is also part of the "heartbroken baseball parent" club right now. Her son gave up his starting CF spot on a competetive D2 program to transfer for a different major. She is taking it much better now that classes have started at his new school and she sees how happy he is there. 

At his age, your son probably knows in his heart what is right for him. Only he knows whether its worth his time and energy to stick it out with this coach. He just needs to know you guys will support him whatever decision he makes. Sounds like that is exactly what you are doing, so kudos to you. Your story is the perfect example of the advice I have often seen here:  "choose a school you would love even if you didn't play baseball." Whatever he decides, I wish your son the best!