Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

old_school posted:
RJM posted:

This is from a motivational speech by Randy Pausch ...

The coach really gave you a hard time this week. It’s because he cares. If he didn’t care he would be ignoring you. The walls weren’t out there to keep us out. They’re there to see how badly we want it.

it’s possible the coach's act is to run him off. But it could be to motivate him. It’s why it’s important to talk to the coach if he believes he is being run off. He could be very wrong.

One of the things I like to consider is would I work for this man a manager in the real world? In my mind that is fair question. If the answer is no why would I want to pay to play for him? There is some an overwhelming ability in the sports world to just defer to the coach...as he is some kind of special being.

I honestly don't get it. Lets motivate the player by seeing how shitty he can be treated before he wants leave? Keep in mind I don't care if the coach is nice guy or not, I care about being clear in your message, holding people accountable to the program and being honest with your people.

You can be a tough, hard nosed, no nonsense coach and not be an asshole.

A lot of kids playing college sports are finding the sport a challenge for the first time in their life. They may be told they’re doing it wrong or failing for the first time in their life. Some kids don’t handle this well. They only think the coach is a jerk.