Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

roothog66 posted:
greatgame posted:

I relate this, again, to boot camp. Upon arrival, there is nothing you can possibly do right. Even if you do everything perfectly, it won't be "right." The story I tell is on the first day of boot camp, we were required to clean the barracks. We did so. They were spotless. Then they inspect and find hundreds of "hits" - things that are inadequate. Fast forward a month and the same cleaning job is inspected and found acceptable. Bottom line is, with this type of coaching, everything you do is going to be found by the coach to be "wrong" - for the time being. It's an old-school "break 'em down and build 'em up mentality."

Yes.  But while that approach is expected (and maybe necessary) in military settings, do you think it ought to be used in college baseball?  (Asking seriously--would like to know what you think.)  

I have worked for some incredibly demanding bosses who I respect, admire and learned a great deal from.  But even so, I think every one of them would have been more effective if s/he had been a little "softer."