Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

Chico Escuela posted:
PABaseball posted:

I don't know what business school research has to do with college baseball coaches. And comparing the workforce to college coaches is apples to oranges. Two completely different worlds. Even if one were to make the argument, the language and attitude on Wall street and in big banking, which is the arguably the highest level of the business industry, would beg to differ. 

Either way, the original post had nothing to do with screaming or throwing things. The original post referenced not watching bullpens, and speaking to the player in an unpleasant tone. Does it suck? Sure and many would agree the player made the right decision. But is it abuse? Not even close. And to her credit, the OP did not mention abuse once, just an unhappy son

No disrespect intended, but you say sports are different--and that makes behavior ok that isn't tolerated in the workplace.  Why?  What about college sports makes it ok for coaches to act in ways businesses won't allow from managers?  

Wall Street , large law firms and a few other employers do tend to tolerate conduct others wouldn't (I mentioned this also in a post above).  I don't know many folks who would defend these as good models for the workplace, but they do exist.  They also rely heavily on burning out lower level employees in a few years and replacing them.  Granted, college sports teams can use the same model.  Does that make it a good way to operate?

I agree this has wandered off topic from the OP.  Still an interesting discussion and worth having, IMO.  If you don't agree, that's all right, too.  I've never known threads on this forum to limit themselves to single issues.

Not trying to provoke you at all.  Willing to have an online discussion if you want.  But can we agree that saying "people today complain too much" or "coaches have done it this way forever" doesn't justify the behaviors?  And so I ask again, why do we tolerate conduct from coaches that companies would not tolerate from managers?  Do we think the coaches are able to be more effective this way?  Do we think 15-22 year old males are too hard-headed to respond to other methods?  If you think it's ok for coaches to scream, belittle players in front of their peers, etc., then why?

Interesting questions, but I do believe it's probably apples and oranges.  Certainly not my level of expertise, but I'm sure there are employment laws that prevent the type of behavior you see in sports.  A college athlete is not an employee.

Perhaps there are some old cultural norms that allow the behavior you're questioning, but that's too deep for my simple mind.