Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

CTbballDad posted:
PABaseball posted:

The word abusive needs to stop being thrown around. Too many coaches lose their jobs because players don't like the way they make them feel.  Just because a coach is mean, or cold, or intimidating does not mean he abuses his players. For every coach labeled "abusive" by a player there is probably a line of teammates, former players, and coaches ready stand behind him and defend him. Being rude, not watching bullpens, and speaking to a player in a unpleasant tone is nowhere near abusive. 

1/2 the players and parents on my son's HS team strongly dislike the coach, he does this, doesn't do that, so on.  Those are the kids who don't get a lot of PT.

The other 1/2, who play, speak highly of him. 

I can say he reached out to my son many times this summer, asking how recruiting was going and what he could do to help.  I'm sure the coaches who came to watch our HS games were also there because of him.  One offer my son received was a direct result of his feedback.  

People are going to play the victim card when they don't get what they want.  Unfortunately, this is the direction our culture has been moving towards for several years.

What I'm about to type is not directed at the OP or her sons situation.

That being said,  CTbballDad's HS survey post is spot on. Playing time always dictates coach evaluations. If your son doesn't play the HC is a clueless fool. If your son plays, he's fine. It's subjective and unfair but that's just how it is. 

Most parents don't understand what dictates playing time. Playing time is based on one simple rule: Coaches play the kids that will help them WIN. Period.

This is true at the HS level, Travel ball level and especially at the NCAA level. NCAA D1 HC Salaries start well into six figures and big program HC's make 1 Million+ . These guys are paid to WIN and will absolutely get FIRED if they don't.

It's a talent issue

It's simple. But the problem with that equation is that in the case of a kid not receiving playing time , The Parents are forced to face the reality that their kid may not be as talented as they thought. Most parents are unwilling or unable to accept that.

Last edited by StrainedOblique