Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

Chico Escuela posted:
real green posted:

To think this doesn't happen in the business world is a bit naive.  Especially what was described by the OP.  

It happens, but no company would condone it.  No management training would suggest that it is effective or appropriate.  No business school would suggest managers act this way.  Why do we expect it from coaches? 

I actually had someone who was not my direct manager call me into his office and chew me up and down, yelling, spit spewing type of chew out.  I was doing some work in one of his stores (this is in retail) and one of his employees gave me some attitude that I did not appreciate so I let that employee know it.  The manager took offense to that as it was his store and his employee.  I sat there and took the chewing out.  Let him know I was sorry and we moved on.  In fact we went out for a beer the next day.  Thing is I was young in my career, just out of college and sports, and he was an ex-NFL player who came out of the old school coaching world.  At the time we both saw it as "normal".  I don't think I would stand for it today.  I will say in the retail world "management by intimidation" is not dead.