Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

cabbagedad posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

No question Bob Knight and other “old school” coaches (I’ll avoid the word “abusive”) can be winners. But did their old school tactics make them successful?  Could Knight have won just as many games (or maybe more) if he had used a different approach?  Did he NEED to behave the way he did to win?

I keep saying it: If being a jerk is so successful, why isn’t there a single business school or management guru out there advocating it?  I think (?) we all agree that managing people in the working world isn’t supposed to work that way (although sometimes managers are jerks, too). So why do we expect something different from coaches?  

OK, Chico, I'll throw this out there...

First, I think there are more than one ways to be successful.  Me, personally, I would say I am more progressive than old school but some of my players would disagree.

I am going to make an analogy to the military.  Of course, I am not trying to say it is the same level of importance or that losing has the same severity of consequences.  But there are many similarities, philosophies and perhaps an argument for old school tactics.  You have a large group of young men from widely varying backgrounds and levels of life experiences, mostly quite limited and not yet nearly prepared for what they are about to face.  They have to be whipped into shape in very short order and fully prepared to go out and do battle from the first day the war begins.  Having comradery and teamwork fully developed day one is an important but elusive goal.  So is full conditioning and exposure to as much simulated warfare as possible before the real thing begins.  Toughen them up and prepare them for anything and everything.  How does the military do this?  Pretty much the same way as the old school coaches do it.  I think the Herb Brooks analogy is really good.  Calculated breaking down of the individuals, along with purposeful development of resentment of the coach in effort to create team unity among the players.  Then push and push some more, beyond what they think they are capable of.  (Can't do that by coddling and telling they are all wonderful, just the way they are   )

I think many coaches use some of these tactics.  On the other hand, I also know that some coaches do it, not having a clue or specific plan.  It's just the way they are.  

You make some very good points.  I’m cogitating about what parts of this would apply in business settings and which would not, and why. Even with a group of very young, very “green” employees, the military model generally wouldn’t be used. Maybe it should (to some extent)?  

For the record:  I’m ok with old school to the extent it means demanding. And chewing somebody out can have its place.  I think we all know “abusive coaching” when we see it, even if we don’t always agree. 

Interesting thread. I’m going to retire from the field for a while...