Skip to main content

Reply to "College coach problems"

My son played through College. We knew it would end then. He had no interest in playing in the lower level independent leagues, and did not believe he was a prospect. He has team mates from his old summer leagues still trying to make it and end up every year back in the Pecos league. He was ready to move on. He played no Baseball the summer after he graduated. However he did take the summer off an coached a local travel team associated with his HS. He wanted to see if coaching was something he wanted to do. He has been an assistant on the Freshman, JV and next year he will be the varsity pitching coach.  He continues to coach in Summer travel. and is the head coach for that team. 

So I still get to see him on the field, usually in the third base coaching box. I will probably go to more Varsity games next spring as well. And now that he is settled in he has spent the last two summers playing in a local Men's league. In College he was a PO, weekend starter all four years. Now he plays in Right field and is a reliever if needed. He still loves to pitch, but I think he is very happy getting to bat and play the field every game again. Plus I get to watch him play on Sunday afternoons. 

It is much more relaxed and he really enjoys his teammates. So for us anyway, it continues to go on.