Skip to main content

Reply to "College Coaches Sharing Info On Player"

@everypitch posted:

I am curious to know how coaches in the same league or even different league handle conversations with other coaches, when they are both recruiting or have interest in the same player? Should the player 100% expect that the coaches will talk and share information? Will coaches do any horse trading without the player knowing or does it play out more like a poker game with no one sharing the real information? I know coaches are busy and 100% focused on their program, but I also know they have long reaching relationships, so when they say no need for kid at our program, position, academics, location etc, and would they reach out to their colleagues at other schools and say hey you need to look at this kid. Or is that just a pipe dream? I know when I hire people, when we find a great candidate but have no fit I try to give them ideas of other companies to look at or will make direct introductions to my connections for the candidate. 

I am about 99% sure this happened with keewartson.  I shared on another post that 2 ACC schools looked hard but passed on him, just as another school in a different conference (still D1, where he wound up going) was hot on his heels.  

I didn't realize the closeness of the two coaches until the coach that recruited keewartson went to work for the other at a totally different school.  Yep, his coach left before keewartson took his first class on campus.