Skip to main content

Reply to "College Commitment"

As for the dorms, the JuCo I am attending does not have dorms or any sort of living so I will be renting a two-person apartment across the street from the college and hopefully get some one I know to come to the school with me and be a roommate. Any other advice?

You may want to contact the coach to see if he might have some other players you can room with.  My son went the JuCo route and the coach was good about pairing up players who needed off campus housing.  The JuCo my son attended did not have any campus housing (very few do) but they did have good relations with several apartment complexes in the area.

Colefty gave some very good advise concerning transfer credits and the general baseball life at a JuCo.  My son was busy in the fall from the time he arrived on campus.  The fall semester is basically tryout time for the spring squad.  In his case, there were 50+ players (all but two recruited) competing for 35 roster spots.  In the fall they had practice 5-6 days a week (3-4 hours), lifts at 6 AM, with classes from 8 AM to about 2 PM.  Study hall was mandatory for freshman and those with a GPA under 2.5.  Skip study hall and  you would be running sprints for the entire practice.  The fall season was usually 15-20 games (about 10 doubleheaders) and for away games they typically only took 25 players (bus capacity).  If you didn't make the travel squad you stayed "home".

Once the spring season started it was 3 games every weekend (doubleheader on Saturday) with usually 1-2 mid week games so an average of 4-5 per week.  Schedule was 56 games (max allowed) with about 50 actually played.  Some that were cancelled due to weather were never made up.  Once the season started the only day off from baseball was Monday.  The rest of the week they were on the field every day whether it be practice or a game.

Anyway, congratulations on the commitment!

FWIW - my son received a scholarship to a D2 university following his sophomore year.  Breaking the school record for doubles in a season (24) and was ranked 2nd nationally among DII Juco players in that stat, and a .365 batting average helped a lot.